Possible strain to the back and chest muscles

Q: I am a 39 year old female who in June suffered an injury to my back and chest. I was in my car and reached behind my seat to get my bag which was stuck on something. As I yanked the bag, I had to break quickly at a stop sign. My back muscle by my scapula was the first to complain. What has continued to plague me with pain is the pectorial, deltoid and clavical area. I have not had an MRI yet. I believe it probably wouldn't show anything. Based off the above information, what kind of injury might I have caused? A pull or strain to the muscle,tendon,ligament? Should I have an MRI taken? The injury is on my right side which is my dominant side. I cannot wrap or immobilize my arm or shoulder due to possible atrophy to that area causing more damage. Suggestions?

A:    According to your description of the events, you are experiencing a sprain of the back muscles and possibly neuritis (inflammation of the intercostal nerves) due to the strenuous movements in the car. The suggested strategy would be: conservative therapy, such as physical therapy, moist heat application, analgesics, and anti-inflammatory drugs (Aleve, Motrin) and avoid wearing constrictive garments, belts, or braces that impart excessive focal pressure on the chest and back. You have to be patient; the improvement of the pain is not going to happen overnight, because the speed of the nerve regeneration is approximately 1mm per day in circumference. You can also take Vitamin B complex that helps to nerve outer layers recovery.