Possible stress fracture

Q: I run track and during the winter/spring season last year I think I might've had shin splints. I didn't tell anyone because I didn't want to stop running, I thought it would go away, and I didn't know what shin splints were then. After the winter season last year it went away then it came back in the middle of the spring season. It went away after the spring season. A few weeks ago I started having minor pain in the same leg. Now its really bad. Weather I'm resting or running it hurts 24/7. Theres this one spot on the inside of my leg that hurts a lot when I press it. Should I be concerned? Do I have a stress fracture?

Symptoms:  Constant pain in lower right leg weather I'm running or resting and pain when i press a certain area on my leg

A:   Hi,

Thanks for writing to Ask The Doctor.

Shin splints usually go away after a while. If the pain is not going away despite icing and massage it is probably something more serious.

Please consult an Orthopedician who will do an X-ray to diagnose and then treat by placing the leg in a cast if needed.