Feeling of urine stuck in penis. Could this be a UTI?

UTI
Ask The Doctor > Urinary Tract Infection > Feeling of urine stuck in penis. Could this be a UTI?

Patient: I am a 14 year old male and a virgin (so no STD) hoping for a Urologist to help. I’ve been having the following issue for just over a week: I have this feeling of urine stuck in my urethra even after urinating. It feels like it is stuck in the penis itself, not the bladder. It feels like it is just ready to come out but never does. There is no pain, and the discomfort is not terrible, but it is continuous. I have been to the doctor’s, but they found nothing from the urine test (testing for UTI), and my bladder was not full.

Symptoms: Feeling of urine stuck in urethra, discomfort

Doctor: This feeling of incomplete voiding is common in Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). A urinary tract infection (UTI) is an infection involving the kidneys, ureters, bladder, or urethra. A urinary tract infection (UTI) is caused by bacteria that get inside your urinary tract. Most bacteria that enter your urinary tract are expelled when you urinate. If the bacteria stay in your urinary tract, you may get an infection. Your urinary tract includes your kidneys, ureters, bladder, and urethra. Urine is made in your kidneys, and it flows from the ureters to the bladder. Urine leaves the bladder through the urethra. A UTI is more common in your lower urinary tract, which includes your bladder and urethra. History and physical exam may suggest you have a lower or upper UTI. Definitive diagnosis requires a “clean catch” urine specimen. This is urine collected from the middle of the urinary stream. Your doctor will instruct you how to do a clean catch. The goal is to avoid picking up bacteria from your skin. Doctors will look for a large number of white blood cells in your urine. This can signal an infection. Your urine will also be cultured for bacteria. This can identify the cause of infection. It can also help your doctor choose appropriate treatment. If an upper UTI is suspected, you may also need a complete blood count (CBC) and blood cultures. These can make certain your infection hasn’t spread to the blood. People with recurrent UTIs may need to be checked for obstructions. Some tests for this include: ultrasound,intravenous pyelogram (IVP – this injected dye allows doctors to see your entire urinary tract) and cystoscopy, which uses a small camera to examine the bladder During a cystoscopy, your doctor may remove a small piece of bladder tissue. This is called a biopsy. Please visit a doctor in person for further help.

Was this answer helpful?
Yes
No