Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Post achilles tendon surgery pains

Post achilles tendon surgery pains

Patient: Dear doctor, I had an Achilles tendon repair 4 months ago after it was accidentally cut by a glass. After 2 months post surgery I went back to work.The problem is that I have been limping for the past 2 months and I have been living on pain tablets.The wound has not closed properly and its always bleeding abscess. The doctor said I should give it time but the pains seem to be getting worse. Inflammation pains are killing me and I’m afraid I might limp for the rest of my life. What should I do? Doctor please help.

Doctor: It is quite clear from your symptoms that you are not recovering as you should. Failure of the wound to close and consta nt drainage suggest a possible infection. This needs to be treated as soon as possible to prevent further complications. The infection would also explain your pain. You should return to your surgeon and explain your current issues. He/she will examine your wound and be able to prescribe a course of antibiotics. Following complete resolution of the infection you will need physical therapy to regain strength in the injured tissue.