Post arthroscopy knee burning pain

Q: I had knee arthroscopy roughly two weeks ago. Meniscus repair and cleaning, and sanding as the doc put it, where the petella and the femur make contact. I have done everything my doctor has told me to do to help with my recovery process, but I am still having intense pain, a burning sensation, everytime I go from a straight leg to and angled leg position, and vise versa. It frequently wakes me up throughout the night. I was told that this pain is caused from the patella rubbing against the femur. My doctor said that this is a smoothing affect that needs to occur. I have taken generic vicodin and generic norco as well as over the counter 200mg gel capped advil, none of which have had any affect on the pain. MY QUESTION... What can I do or take to help alleviate some if not all of this burning feeling?

A:    According to your description  the burning pain that you are experiencing may be due to a nerve irritation or Neuritis, which produces a pain occurring from a peripheral nerve inflammation probably resulting from the surgery, in which the sensitive nerve that supplies sensation to that part of the knee was involuntarily touched. The recovery of the inflammation or lesion of the peripheral nerves takes time. The suggested strategy would be: conservative therapy, such as physical therapy, moist heat application, anti-inflammatory drugs as Ibuprofen (“Motrin”, “Aleve”) and avoid wearing constrictive garments close to the affected knee, also you can try capsaicin cream locally. If does not get better with these measures it is strongly recommend to be evaluated by a orthopedic surgeon and maybe consider the local corticosteroid injection which might provide more chronic relief of symptoms.