Post Ectopic pregnancy

Patient: I have been treated for an ectopic pregnancy, I had methotrexate 3 weeks ago. My hcg levels have fell from 1900 to 94, am I safe to have sex or even use materbation?

Doctor: Thank you for your query.Methotrexate is a drug that stops the growth of rapidly dividing cells, such as embryonic, fe tal, and early placenta cells in an ectopic pregnancy . Thus the pregnancy is gradually reabsorbed. The couple can resume a normal sexual relationship as and when they are ready, both physically and emotionally. You will need to use contraception to avoid pregnancy for three months if you had a single dose of the methotrexate injection or for six months if you had two injections and you should speak with your doctor about the alternatives. Strenuous activities are to be avoided at least for about a month. It may take about a month to three before the hCG values totally fall, the hCG levels are to be monitored till they read below 2 and you should undergo a scan immediately in the e.r. incase of any pain in the abdomen to see if it is an tubal abortion which may need an emergency surgical intervention.Hope that answers your query . Have a good day.