Post-exposture Anti-Rabies Treatment

Patient: Hello there! This is regarding stray dog bite to right thigh (with wound). It happened on April 4th, 2015 at around 8 pm and the dog was a stray dog (normal and not rabid). Suppose the dog bit as it wanted to protect it babies. Suffered severe teeth bite wounds to right thigh. Immediately presented to clinic and got cleansed the wound thoroughly and got first dose of Verorab vaccine. Subsequently, on third day got the second injection at a Government Hospital, where the advised of RIG injection which I was not aware of initially. After the third day till sixth day, was not able to get the RIG injection administered as there was no stock.Now, my question is can i go ahead and get the RIG injection administered on the seventh day as that is available now. Also, am due for the third dose of the antirabies vaccine on the seventh day.On the sixth day, one of the doctors advised that administering RIG injection should be done within 24-48 hours and there is no use of administering it on the sixth or seventh day as it will not be effective and also neutralize the antibodies which would started to develop in the body due to antirabies vaccine by that time.Also, earlier one of the doctors advised that RIG can be administered within 7 days of first dose or bite.Please give your valuable opinion on this and clear my doubt ASAP as I am going for the third injection tomorrow (April 11, 2015).Thank you,Vasanth Kumar,+91-9164296712Bangalore, KarnatakaIndia

Symptoms: Dog bite wound

Doctor: HelloThank you posting your query on “Ask the Doctor”The opinion given by the doctor who suggested “On the sixth sixth day, one of the doctors advised that administering RIG injection should be done within 24-48 hours and there is no use of administering it on the sixth or seventh day as it will not be effective and also neutralize the antibodies which would started to develop in the body due to antirabies vaccine by that time” is correct.You are advised to continue with vaccination.