Post Meniscal repair surgery conditions

Patient

Q: Dear Doctor, I am 56 years old male and had meniscus tear repair on my right knee surgery a week ago. I had been diagnosed for meniscus tear 3 years ago. I had pain after long work sitting in the office or carrying weight of my body on the affected leg for more than a minute. I had no clicking knee, locking the knee situations or swollen knee situations though. I started to play tennis and do other sport activities despite the pain. To my surprise I started to feel much better. So, the pain was very tolerable. But eventually, to completely get rid of the problem I agreed on the surgery. Here is my concern. After the surgery I started to feel clicking and pain in the inner part of the knee! It seems that the knee got worse, not better. Is it normal to have these kind of simptoms? Can I hope they disappear some day or now I lost my ability to do active sports at all? Honestly, I am afraid that I did wrong thing allowing the surgery. Some more technical details. When I was 5 I had the leg bone below the affected knee broken. As a result, the foot is angled slightly outwards approxiamtely 15 degrees. However, I had no limitations in sports. Could this leg shape deformation cause the problem? What would you recommend to clear the situation and rehab? Thank you for your help. Renat Manassypov

Doctor

A:    You are in the early stage of your recovery process post-surgery, then it is expected to have some pain and functional limitation, these two will be improving along the rehabilitation is taking place. The first 4-6 weeks are very important; you will start progressively to bear weight on the affected knee, and range of motion exercises (flexion-extension), along with quads straightening, and hamstring stretches. It will be expected some inflammation and pain when you start the exercise routine, but you will control these with anti-inflammatory medication (“Aleve”, “Motrin”). Regarding the outward deviation of 15 degrees after your tibial fracture when you were 5 years old, I do not consider it as a factor that has caused your meniscus lesion.