Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Post stroke and bipolar like symptoms

Post stroke and bipolar like symptoms

Patient: My dad is 56 years old and suffered a stroke one year ago. He now suffers from Visual agnosia and aphasia. Lately he has become dangerously angry at times and goes through mood changes from one minute to the next. is this common?

Doctor: There are many problems that may happen after a stroke, and I do understand the concern for your dad. Most of these prob lems are common and will improve with time and rehabilitation. Common physical conditions after a stroke include, paralysis or weakness, inattention to one side of the body, urinary or bowel incontinence, speech problems, difficulty swallowing, visual problems.Many patients suffering from stroke also develop depression, anxiety, mood swings and emotional outburstts. Depression is a frequent problem after a stroke. I would advise you to talk to your dad’s doctor about his symptoms. If an underlying depression is present it may be better to get a referral for a psychologist or psychiatrist.