Post Surgery Rectal Itching

Patient

Q: My husband had surgery for an infection from a puncture wound 3 weeks ago. He had iv antibiotics as well as antibiotics orally for a week afterwards. He is experiencing severe anal itching since the surgery. Could it be from the antibiotics?

Doctor

A:   Itching around the anus is most commonly caused by intestinal worms, fungal infections and hemorrhoids. Antibiotic use may increase the likelihood of a fundal infection. It is fairly easy for your doctor to distinguish between the three. If a fungal infection is diagnosed then a course of anitfungal medications is all that is required.