Post tibia and fibula fracture that required bone graft

Patient

Q: I was in an accidident in mid auguest which broke both my left tib and fib. i had surgery on it right away however the surgury was not effective and the bone never started healing. they opened it back up yesterday Janurary 31st to do a bone graft from my hip to my leg. i now have a wrap on my leg and all my medications. just curious as to how low it may generally take to heal and i'd like to know when i can apply some weight, if any at all, to my leg. Tommy, Male, 78 years old.

Doctor

A:    Unfortunately, the tibial-fibula fracture non-union is a complication that may present in several cases, and is usually treated with bone grafting techniques. The most used and common is to obtain bone from the same patient hip, as done in your case. Fracture healing does not mean full function, and residual weakness, pain, and limitations in function are common, even in appropriately treated patients with clinically successful outcomes. In your case it is very important to follow to the letter the directions of the surgeon and the rehab process, in the view that your age, calcium level, physical activity and the unpredictable outcome of this type of problem itself (tibial non union treated with bone grafting).