Post traumatic Bursitis in the Knee

Patient

Q: I hit my knee once ( just above the knee cap ) and It swolled up. I had a lump there with no pain. A doctor drained some fluid = cortisone. The inflamation came down a little. Riding the bike the other day it got swollen again. This time I feel some pressure in the area. What's happening? I'm 50 years old. How do I treat it? Thanks in advance.

Doctor

A:   Direct blows to the knee may produce injury of the ligaments, menisci, bones, capsule or Bursae in your case, which after the trauma can collect liquid that causes pressure and it needs to be drain in order to relieve that pressure in the knee.
The suggested strategy for the initial treatment includes: use of local ice, rest, elevation of the leg, anti-inflammatory drugs (as “advil”) and the use of a knee immobilizer. If all these directions are followed, then the normal function should return in few days, but if the pain, swelling and limitation on the movements persist an Orthopedic Surgeon must re-evaluate the injured knee.