Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Post traumatic Mechanical Low Back pain

Post traumatic Mechanical Low Back pain

Patient: I have had a back pain for a few times for about only 2-3 days. but then it subsides. this first time happened about a year back when i had got a severe jerk while playing football. i went to a physician but he said that it was a normal muscle pain nothing more and gave me a muscle relaxant. but after a few weeks i have pain in my lower part of the back and when i stretch backwards the pain concentrates as if into the back bone. Could please suggest a remedy or should i consult the doctor ?? Could this be due to my sleeping posture? i sleep with my face up and legs on a high pillow.

Doctor: Mechanical low back pain (LBP) is the second most common reason for seeing a physician in the United States. Of the US population, 85% will experience an episode of mechanical LBP at some point during their lifetime. Fortunately, the LBP resolves for the vast majority within 2-4 weeks. Sometimes it may complicate with a persistent muscle contracture and/or a sciatic nerve inflammation and the healing process takes a little longer.The suggested conservative treatment would be: a physical therapy program aimed to: control the pain and the inflammatory process, relative rest, flexion and extension exercises of the spine to reduce the nerve tension, exercises that improve the muscular strength and endurance of lumbar muscles. The main goal of physical therapy in persons with post-traumatic acute back pain is not to increase strength but to achieve adequate pain control. Acetaminophen (“Tylenol”) remains one of the best first-line treatments of acute LBP. It is generally well tolerated, has few adverse effects or drug reactions with other medications, and is inexpensive. You can also try anti inflammatory drugs (“Aleve”) or the one that you are actually taken “Celebrex”. Also, try avoiding all the activities that produce pain or discomfort, such as weight lifting, keep a good posture at all times and sleeping with a pillow between the knees while lying on one side may increase comfort. Some doctors recommend lying on your back with a pillow under your knees. The back pain will improve within several days. Do not be discouraged if you don’t get a fast improvement. Almost everyone gets better within a month of onset of the pain if it is an uncomplicated mechanical lower back pain.