Potential ADD and general concentration issues

Patient

Q: I'm an 18 year old male and over the past few years I've been experimenting with controlled substances. As I've continued to progress through high school, I found more and more interest in researching drugs and generally becoming knowledgeable so that I can make sure that I'm making safe decisions as I continue to explore. After several months of curiosity, I finally tried Adderall. I've noticed that over the past few years of school that there's been sort of a butt over my head that has made motivating myself to concentrate in class relatively difficult. Today I took 40mg of Adderal XR, and I'd say it was one of the most productive and smooth days I've had in several years. I wouldn't say I necessarily have a problem with anxiety, however it's definitely say it's a contributing factor in motivating myself to be productive. That being said, today I experienced practically zero anxiety and it put me in a great mood all day as a result. I would also like to say think I'm a fairly sociable person who doesn't struggle very much with social interaction, however I do get some amount of social anxiety regardless of the situation. This was completely eliminated which made socializing with peers, adults, and authority figures much more enjoyable and significantly easier. I'm not sure that my problem with motivation and concentration is necessarily ADD, and I definitely do not want to develop a serious dependence to a stimulant like amphetamine (which is why the idea of regular/daily use is something that I'd like to stay away from), but regardless of that I feel like Adderall definitely helped me overcome a lot of problems that in the past therapy has been unable to help. I'm curious as to what a general health doctor or the sort would recommend for this, and if there's any merit behind the idea of this, as well as any courses of actions that one might suggest.

Symptoms:  Concentration problems as well as vague and hard to target anxiety, more thoroughly explained in the question.
Doctor

Thanks for choosing "Ask The Doctor" for posting your query.
Attention deficit disorder may present with anxiety as well and the treatment of ADD with stimulants will reduce the anxiety symptoms as well. That is what probably you have noticed. Now if you use the medicines as advised by your doctor and do not take up extra doses, then there is no chance of medicine abuse. As it has benefitted you, you should meet your doctor and get a psychiatry referral who can assess you for ADHD (adult) and start you on regular medicines like Adderall or methylphenidate etc.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.

Wish you good health!