Potential causes of Urinary Tract Infections?

Patient

Q: I'm a 32 year old male. I've been experiencing mild urinary retention for the past two weeks that came on suddenly. I gave a urine sample and ruled out bladder infection. The suspicion was prostatitis so I was prescribed Celebrex and an antibiotic. I've been taking it for a week now but the symptom is still there. My question is what could be the potential causes of mild urinary retention without the presence of any other symptoms such as pain or burning. Every common causes also seem to include pain in groin or burning while urinating in the list of symptoms. Also I hadn't been sexually active either for a while. Medications I'm currently taking since May are Vyvanse and Gabapentin.

Doctor

A:   Hi,

Thanks for writing in to us..

Your urinary bladder requires to be assessed by ultrasound scan to know exactly how much urine is being retained. This can be known by measuring pre void and post void urine.

The causes of urinary retention can include infection with atypical organisms which are not routinely checked for in urine.

Another possibility is a side effect to medicines like vyvanase which you take.

Hope your query is answered.
Please do write back if you have any doubts.

Regards,