Potential for surgery complications?

Patient

Q: I am having a surgery tomorrow(just found out) on my fingers, and I am wondering if there are any complications during the procedure (anesthesia, etc.) that could arise due to frequent cannabis use?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Smoking cannabis excessively can effect your breathing while you are under general anesthesia during surgery. You need to make it a point to tell your surgeon and anesthesiologist about your cannabis use in order for them to carefully assess your ability to safely undergo general anesthesia for your procedure. If you cannot, then safer anesthesia methods could be utilized to allow you to have your surgery.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com