Powerlifting & hip injury

Patient

Q: I am a 31 year old male competitive in powerlifting, but I have an FAI labrum tear in my left hip. My question is, should I discontinue squats, & is deadlifting ok?

Symptoms:  Impingement, pain, ROM restricted
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Until you are evaluated by your doctor to determine the severity of your injury. We recommend that you avoid all heavy lifting as these maneuvers can exacerbate the pain of you labrum tear. Depending on the severity of the tear, you may likely need to undergo physiotherapy or you may actually to have this surgically repaired. Please see your doctor and avoid heavy weight lifting.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com