Pre eclampsia after a birth??

Q: I have a 17 week old baby, I was induced as I had pre eclampsia. After the birth I never felt that it had gone & when the baby had a hospital appointment I was sent to A&E as I was still having blurred vision & headaches when she was 8 weeks old. They did a blood test & my liver & kidney function were raised. My bp was normal. I am still having headaches now & I am not sure what is wrong but I am a bit worried now

I have been to my own GP & also got blood results from my maternity hospital. Nothing else was mentioned about my kidney function but my liver function has been getting worse.

17 Sept (3 days post delivery)
AST: 42
ALT: 27

11 Nov
AST: 44
ALT: 63

17 Dec
AST: 44
ALT: 86

My GP said there still is nothing to worry about & I have to get another blood test in 10 days. He said if the ALT gets to 120/150 he would be concerned.

As this is my first baby, I don't know if how I feel is normal. The baby is 17 weeks now. I have not had the blurred vision for a few weeks but I have been having headaches regularly & had a dizzy & hot spell on Monday. I felt like my bp was very high for a few hours but I was not able to get it checked. I ate some food (I was not hungry when it happened) & sat down for some time & the dizziness went. I did not feel right all day & I know I was very irritable but for no reason.

My GP said he is not worried about the headaches as they are not frontal lobe & also because Paracetamol cures them.

I have been tested for rheumatoid arthritis as I have been having problems with my hips & ankles since the birth. I do not have the results yet as they take weeks.

I am a bit overweight since the birth but would normally have a BMI of around 24. I put on 2 stone 6 during the pregnancy but still have about 1 stone to lose.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Symptoms:  Tiredness, headache, pre eclampsia

A:   Hi,
Preeclampsia is a condition which presents with high blood pressure, proteinuria, edema etc.
It can affect the functions of the liver, kidney, vision etc.
Usually after delivery the blood pressure will come to normal early compared with the liver and renal functions.
Maybe because of that your AST and ALT are elevated little bit.
But if they elevate for 2 to 3 times of normal levels, then only intervention should be considered as told by your doctor.
As now your blurring of vision and renal function improved, possibly it is indicating that you are in a state of improvement.
Better to check your blood sugar levels, hemoglobin and blood pressure to find out the possible causes of dizziness, headache.
By taking sufficient diet in frequent intervals and adequate sleep, possibly these symptoms can be reduced.
After getting rheumatoid arthritis profile results, if needed treatment can be planned according to that.
It can take some time for complete cure of all these symptoms, meanwhile you need regular follow-ups.
Take care.