Pre eclampsia after the birth?

Patient

Q: I have a 12 week old baby, I was induced as I had pre eclampsia. After the birth I never felt that it had gone & when the baby had a hospital appointment I was sent to A&E as I was still having blurred vision & headaches when she was 8 weeks old. They did a blood test & my liver & kidney function were raised. My bp was normal. I am still having headaches now & I am not sure what is wrong but I am a bit worried now

Symptoms:  Headaches, blurred vision, tiredness,
Doctor

Thanks for the query to askthedoctor.com
It is actually odd to find PRE-ECLAMPSIA persisting beyond pregnancy as it is precipitated by the trophoblastic element of the fetus which once removed after delivery of placenta blood pressure and symptoms subside in next 6 weeks ideally.
But as you mentioned that unlike a typical presentation , your blood pressure is normal ( which is atypical for hypertensive disorder like pre-eclampsia), but only your liver function tests and kidney function tests are deranged.
There is a possibility of Chronic hypertension with partial HELLP syndrome where liver and kidney functions ca be deranged and often preeclamptic symptoms of headache and blurring would persist with high bp levels i.e more than 140/90 mm Hg on 2 separate readings 6 hrs apart.
You need to be evaluated in detail with daily twice a day bp recording, with 24 hrs urine collection to look for proteinuria, liver and kidney function test repeated from a different lab to remove bias and if the results are positive then you would have to be started on antihypertensives and UDCA ( ursodeocycholic acid tabs) to control the liver enzymes and bilirubin levels and to be monitored on a weekly basis.
Please visit your physician to discuss in detail your situation and take a informed decision.
I hope i have been able to address your concerns in detail,
wishing you good health,
regards