Pre Eclampsia Signs and Symptoms at 31 weeks

Patient

Q: I am 31 wks. pregnant with a past history of severe pre eclampsia resulting in aa 28 wk. delivery. I am having pain under my ribs on the right side. It is a constant pain but it is not sharp. I went to my OB 3 days ago and had no protein in my urine but I do have chronic high blood pressure which runs about 160/105 when I am pregnant. Could this be a sign of the pre eclamsia even though I have no protein in my urine? I also had a 2+ glucose level in my urine.

Doctor

A:   I truly understand your worry about your hypertension and the possible relation with Preeclampsia. I agree that the pain that you feel in your right upper abdomen could be present in preeclampsia, however with your chronic hypertension the only way to confirm this would be a urine test to watch for the proteins, since you had this test done and with negative results which was the priority event to rule out, we could look for other causes.
Sometimes this pain could be caused just by pregnancy itself, remember that there is pressure in your abdomen, the biliary system which is located in that area as well could be causing colic due to the gallbladder contraction. Glucose found in urine could be also a normal effect of pregnancy since the kidney filtration system can be altered; however it might be helpful to obtain a diabetes screening test to rule out possible Gestational Diabetes.
Certainly your high blood pressure needs to be carefully monitored and I will also recommend you to look for signs of edema in your hands and around your eyes, headaches, nausea and vomits, if any of these occurs please consult your physician. I wish you the best.