Pre pregnancy and adderall ... is it safe?

Q: My husband and I lost a baby in an early misscarriage last week. We want to begin trying after my first normal period. I am prescribed adderall 20 mg 2 times a day. I have a work conference this weekend and was going to stop taking it after my conference... Is this safe/ok or should I stop now?

A:   Thank you for your question. Adderall contains a combination of amphetamine and dextroamphetamine. Both of these medications have shown to cause birth defects in animal studies however, there have not been any documented causes in humans. It is therefore not completely contraindicated for use in pregnancy however many women choose to come of this medication, with the supervision of your there doctor if they are deciding to become pregnant. We recommend that you consult your doctor before stopping this medication as well as notify them that you are planning to get pregnant. In this way, safer alternatives can be provided to you if needed.

Thank you for choosing