Prednisolone in Early Pregnancy

Patient: Having suffered 3 previous early miscarriages I have been prescribed 20mg daily of prednisolone to counteract NK cells to be taken until approx week 20 to 25. Do you think the dosage is too high? I am currently 9 weeks pregnant as so far so good.

Doctor: Prednisolone has been assigned to pregnancy category C by the FDA. Some animal studies have revealed evidence of fetal h arm, although data are conflicting. There are no controlled data in human pregnancy. Prednisone is only recommended for use during pregnancy when there are no alternatives and benefit outweighs risk.Certainly for the treatment of recurrent miscarriages, let me reassure you that the dosage of 20mg of Prednisolone might not be considered dangerous for your pregnancy, on the contrary would help reduce the increased numbers of uNK cells in women who suffer from recurrent miscarriages. Women with steroid treatments during pregnancy usually don’t have complications in their newborns with low dosages. I wish you a successful pregnancy.