Prednisone and male infertility

Patient

Q: Hi there, my partner has got ulcerative collitis, and has to take prednisolone tablets every day for 2 years, I was just wondering if this could affect our chances if we decide we want to get pregnant? or if he would have to come off the tablets, once he gets better is there still a chance we can get pregnant? or would there be a time period e.g. 6 months etc? many thanks

Doctor

A:   Prednisone has been shown to decrease sperm count and thus lead to infertility as one of its side effects. Thus you partner will have to get off the tablets. It may take a while for the sperm count to regenerate however. I wish you all the best.