Prednisone and Pregnancy Side-effects

Patient

Q: I am taking Prednisone 40mg twice a week and pimecrolimus 1% cream from one month for vitiligo. treatment will take time.is it safe to plan a baby or i should wait?

Doctor

A:   You are right to consider the possible risks of using a drug like prednisone while pregnant. Prednisone can cause many of the same side effects for a baby that it causes for an adult. If it is used for a prolonged period, it could affect the strength of bones, the pattern of fat and muscle shape, and the baby's metabolism. Most of these changes would be temporary. I would advise that you avoid pregnancy while on prednisone.