Q: I had severe preclampsia and Hellp syndrome in my last pregnancy. .I am 11 weeks pregnant now and just out of hospital suffering from hyperemesis. ...I checked my urine no keytones but I have +1 protein could preclampsia be starting again already? Or is it just cause I am sick...thank u in advance

Symptoms:  +1 protein in my urine

A:   Thank you for your question. We cannot diagnose preeclampsia based on a finding of 1+ protein in your urine. The diagnosis of preeclampsia requires you to have blood pressure greater than 140/90 measured on two occasions after your 20th week of pregnancy. Protein measurements in you urine need to be done in a laboratory and are required to be greater than or equal to 300mg in a 24hr urine collection. There are other findings that are also used in this diagnosis as well. A urine dipstick of 1+ is only a quantitative method initially, and further testing is required. If you are concerned with the recurrence of preeclampsia, we suggest you be evaluated by your Obstetrician to determine if this is so.

Thank you for choosing