Preferred treatment for Allergy and Asthma

Patient

Q: My allergies tend to trigger my asthma. What can I take to keep my allergies in control that doesn't react with my asthma medication and synthroid meds?

Doctor

A:   Allergy and asthma are commonly seen to be associated, because many factors that trigger asthma are also commonly known allergy triggers. Immunotherapy with allergy shots or medications like montelukast (singulair) and steroids, would help reduce reaction of the immune system to the allergens and control your asthma as well, with no significant interactions with your current medications. Use of anti histamine medications or nasal spray may also help. Avoidance of the triggers and steam inhalation to soothe your respiratory tract may provide relief.