Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Pregancy after C-section

Pregancy after C-section

Patient: I HAD A QUESTION AND HOPE YOU COULD HELP ME I HAD A BABY DEC 16,2009 I HAD A C-SECTION AND I WAS STILL DISCHARGING BLOOD WELL I HAD SEX WITH MY BF YESTERDAY AND WANTED TO KNOW IF THERE POSSIBLE I GET PREGNANT WE HAD UNPROTECTED SEX?IS THERE ANY HOW I COULD PREVENT IT FROM GETTING PREGNANT?WHAT COULD HAPPEN?

Doctor: You must be under a tremendous amount of stress.  Pregnancy after c-section is not recommended till at least 12 months a after the C-section. It takes time for the body to recover, heal and prepare itself for another pregnancy.ANYTIME there is unptoteced sex, pregnancy is possible.To prevent pregnancy, it is best to take PLAN B within 72 hours if unprotected sex. The earlier you take it, the better the chance of preventing a pregnancy. For those women who have irregular cycles or there has been a disruption in their cycles, I often recommend a home pregnancy test 2 weeks after taking plan B for reassurance.Speak to your local doctor or pharmacist today to see if PLAN B is right for you.