Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Pregancy Concerns for a teen

Pregancy Concerns for a teen

Patient: Is it possible to be pregant and still have your period the frist week?I’m having some signs or pregnacy but i had my period it was a week late and alot shorter than any of my others so i wasnt sure if i could be pregant or it be a false preganacy.

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Sometimes spotting can be seen in early pregnancy due to di fferent causes like increased blood supply to local genital structures, growing gestational sac damaging the surrounding vessels, bleeding on expected date of periods etc.At the same time having scanty flow during periods is also can be seen due to causes like gonadal hormonal imbalance, thyroid abnormalities etc.So, by the pattern of bleeding we can not come to one conclusion regarding pregnancy.Please go for urine pregnancy test once to rule out the possibility of pregnancy.Take care.