Q: I am currently 30 weeks pregnant. I fund out about pregnancy when I was 14 1/2 weeks. prior to me knowing was a frequent smoker of marijuana. my question is if I have been clean for almost 4 months and am not due until September will me and my baby test positive for thc?

A:   Smoking marijuana is one of the most harmful things one can do to unborn babies and I appreciate that you have been clean since you found out that you were pregnant. Smoking marijuana can cause a woman to miscarry and may cause preterm birth, bleeding, fetal death and fetal strokes, which can lead to brain damage and death.
Smoking marijuana can affect the amount of oxygen and nutrients the baby receives from the mother's placenta, which may affect growth of the baby. Babies born to marijuana smokers may suffer from withdrawal symptoms once they are born in the form of irritability, jitters, seizures etc. In addition, marijuana can have long-term effects on infants and children, such as having learning disabilities, delayed milestones etc.
Marijuana traces remain in your system for around 1 - 2 months. If you have not smoked at all in the last 4 months the body secretions may or may not test positive for marijuana.The marijuana smoked by a pregnant woman remains in the baby's fat cells for seven to 30 days.
In any case if there has been any use of cocaine or marijuana exposure it is highly advisable that the health care provider, doctor or midwife be informed about the same. This is to ensure that all necessary arrangements to manage the baby and the pregnancy are made in advance in anticipation of any possible complications arising out of the substance abuse. It is your responsibility as a mother that you ensure that your baby's entry into the world is a smooth transition and hence I strongly urge you to not hide any information regarding your health from your doctors.