Patient: In early pregnancy what does it mean if beta levels increase but do not double in 3 to 4 days

Doctor: The hormone human chorionic gonadotropin (better known as HCG) is produced during pregnancy. It is made by cells that fo rm the placenta, which nourishes the egg after it has been fertilized and becomes attached to the uterine wall. Levels can first be detected by a blood test about 11 days after conception and about 12 – 14 days after conception by a urine test.In general the HCG levels will double every 72 hours. The level will reach its peak in the first 8 – 11 weeks of pregnancy and then will decline and level off for the remainder of the pregnancy. When the levels are low or do not double every 3 to 4 days, the first cause to rule out is a miss calculation of the pregnancy dating.  Other conditions that might cause the HCG to stop doubling or slowly increase could be possible miscarriage and ectopic pregnancy.I would suggest you to consult your Gynecologist to rule out these possibilities first, a normal pregnancy may have low HCG levels and result in a perfectly healthy baby. I wish you the best.

View all posts