Pregnancy

Patient

Q: I am 3-4weeks pregnant and my hcg levels 3 weeks ago weere 16 then 2 days later 13 then 2.5 weeks later 162 then 3days later 161 am i losing my baby?

Doctor

A:   You are not necessarily losing your baby. HCG is produced during pregnancy and is made by cells that form the placenta, which nourishes the egg after it has been fertilized and becomes attached to the uterine wall.
The HCG levels will double every 72 hours in most women, also low HCG levels pregnancies may result in a perfectly healthy baby. The results from an ultrasound after 5 - 6 weeks gestation are much more accurate than using HCG numbers. I would suggest you to consult your physician if you notice contractions or bleeding that might appear as a miscarriage, also an ultrasound would be helpful to confirm a viable pregnancy.