Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Pregnancy after both tubes removed

Pregnancy after both tubes removed

Patient: I had both of my Fallopian tubes removed dec 13 and am having all signs of pregnancy but am still a week away from period. I had an ultrasound last week and no sign of pregnancy. I have read a lot of posts online of women who have become pregnant after having both tubes removed also. Is it a possibility that I could be indeed pregnant? This would be baby # 4

Symptoms: Irritable, tender breasts, bloating, fatigue oh and did I say irritable?

Doctor: Thank you for your question. The likelihood of becoming pregnant after having bilateral salpingectomy (removal of the f allopian tubes) is extremely low as an egg released from the ovary cannot be fertilized in the absence in fallopian tubes. However, in very rare cases active spermatozoa can come into contact with a released ovum resulting in fertilization and pregnancy. Your symptoms are associated with pregnancy but are not specific to pregnancy. It is important that you go to your doctor to conduct a through examination, along with a pregnancy test and ultrasound to determine with certainty if you are pregnant or not. This would be the best way to rule out pregnancy and to elucidate any other possible causes for the presence of your symptoms such as infections, hormonal imbalances, fibroids or endometriosis. Please see your doctor as soon as you can.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com