Ask The Doctor > Pending > Pregnancy after hernia repair surgery

Pregnancy after hernia repair surgery

Patient: Hello- I had my first and only child back in September 2010. As a result of the pregnancy, I ended up with two navel hernias. I had Laparoscopic Hernia Repair surgery one year ago. Several months after my surgery, I was still experiencing pain so I went back to my doctor. My main concern is whether or not I am able to carry a child for nine months considering I am still experiencing a slight pulling sensation in one of my incision areas. Will the pregnancy be too painful or will it rip the mesh? My doctor was not able to give me an answer and instead said, “I didn’t know you were planning on having more children. The mesh does not stretch.”

Doctor: