Pregnancy after thermal ablation and sterilization?

Q: I had a tubal ligation and thermal balloon ablation 3 years ago. I have just started a relationship with a new partner and foolishly had unprotected sex about 8 weeks ago. I have been worried about becoming pregnant as I have very tender breasts at the moment and have been feeling a bit light headed and quite tired. I am 42 years old and after having the thermal ablation do not have a period at all. Is it possible for me to be pregnant. I am very worried about this as apart from not wanting another baby - I have been told this would be very dangerous. I'm afraid to even do a pregnancy test as I do not know what I will do if it is positive.

A:   The risk of pregnancy following a tubal sterilization procedure is extremely low. In fact, the pregnancy rate foloowing tubal sterilization is approximately 1%. Therefore, I doubt very much that you are pregnant. However, it is best to be certain and as such I  would strongly suggest that you take a pregnancy test to be sure. In the very slim chance that it is positive, you should see a doctor immediately as you are at an increased risk of an ectopic pregnancy (tubal pregnancy) and would  require surgery.