Pregnancy after tubes tied

Patient

Q: Iam 27 and have not had a period for about 4 and a half months and 5 years ago I had my tubes cut tied and burned is there any possible way that I could be pregnant I have 2 kids and I fell the same way now that I did whit them I would love to have a nothere baby tubes being tied was forced on me by my ex husband.

Doctor

A:   It is possible to become pregnant after having your tubes tied, however, it is very, very unlikely! The chances of pregnancy are extremely low. Nonetheless, you should have a pregnancy test done since you have not seen your menses in over 4 months. If the pregnancy test is negative, then your doctor will investigate for other causes of lack of a period (secondary amenorrhea). The most common cause is a hormonal imbalance.After you present symptoms have been treated, should you still desire another child, there are procedures that can be attempted to untie the tubes. Unfortunately, these procedures do have a very high failure rate.