Pregnancy and alcohol

Patient : Hi there I found out I am pregnant at 12 weeks. Unfortunately I consumed a large amount of alcohol in the first 12 weeks due to personal issues and the fact that's didn't know I was pregnant. I am so worried my baby has fetal alcohol syndrome or I have damaged it in some way, is there a test that can be done to find out.
Doctor :   At 12 weeks of pregnancy you can undergo a first trimester screening to check if there are any abnormalities that may h ave developed in the fetus. This includes a blood test known as the double marker test and a nuchal translucency scan. This can be followed by a detail examination for anomalies at 16 -20 weeks known as the congenital anomaly scan. If no abnormalities are picked up by then you can safely assume that you are not at a very high risk for fetal anomalies. I recommend that you mention consuming alcohol to your obstetrician as he/she may be able to prescribe you these screening tests as well as help you prepare in advance for any complications that may result during child birth as a result of the same. I would also recommend that you take adequate folic acid supplements for prevention of neural tube defects if you are already not on it. Wish you all the best with the tests. Hope you and your baby remain in the best of health.

Related Q&A

Q: Insulin does not cross the placenta but glucose does, how will the baby’s body handle elevated glucose in the m...

Q: Is it possible to get pregnant while on the implanon? And if so, would the fetus survive or would it die with the imp...

Q: I have been on BCP for a while..It it normal to still breakthrough bleed? The blood is dark red to brown what can I d...

Q: My husband and I are trying to get pregnant and nothing seems to be happening. We have kids already but we want to ha...

Q: Is it possible to be pregnant an still see my monthly periods


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon