Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Pregnancy and Blood Tests for Anemia

Pregnancy and Blood Tests for Anemia

Patient: Hi i am 16 weeks pregnant i had my routine blood tests on the 17th december i was told i was anemic and was given iron tablets the doctor has sent me a letter asking me to have a repeat full blood count on the 28th january he has not explained why could you give me some sort of idea as to why he wants me to do this repeat full blood count

Doctor: The most common cause of anemia is iron deficiency.  This can easily be corrected by oral iron tablets.  Most doctors wi will often repeat the blood tests after 6-12 weeks of oral iron tablets to see if the anemia is improving.  I suspect your doctor is testing earlier rather than later because of your pregnancy and the importance of having a healthy pregnancy.If the anemia is not improving, your doctor may elect another form of iron supplementation (injection or intravenous).  Also, If the anemia is not improving, your doctor may also search for other causes of anemia other than iron deficiency.