Pregnancy and champix

Patient : I'm 14 weeks pregnant and I've tried everything to quit smoking and I really want to try champix is it safe enough to use now?
Doctor :   Hi, Thanks for the query. I understand your concern. Champix tablets contain varenicline. Which belongs to category C drugs in pregnancy, means animal studies have shown few adverse effects on fetus whereas sufficient human studies are lacking. So, safety of Champix in pregnancy is not yet proved . Before starting Champix tablets, please talk to your doctor once and proceed according to her advice. Take care.