Pregnancy and Colposcopy

Patient

Q: Had abnormal pap, bad colposcopy results, then had to have the leetz surgery had three month check abnormal cells have returned but now i'm pregnant is it safe for a pregnant person to undergo a colposcopy at only eighteen weeks

Doctor

A:   There is no problem with you undergoing a colposcopy while you are pregnant. The colposcopy is simply the use of a special instrument to examine the vagina and cervix. However should any abnormality be found that requires any surgery on the cervix you may not be able to do that procedure for fear of loss of the pregnancy.