Ask The Doctor > Pregnancy > Epithelial cells in urine during pregnancy

Epithelial cells in urine during pregnancy

Patient: Hello I’m pregnant 6 weeks. I had a urine analysis and everything is normal: WBC, RBC , but I have many epithelial cells. I’m worried, my Ob is travelling, and I have to wait him until he’s back. What does means having many epithelial cells in urine? Is it serious? Is there any treatment ?

Doctor: There may be many different types of cells found on a microscopic examination of the urine. These includes pus cells, red blood cells and epithelial cells. The epithelial cells present in the urine is due to the sloughing up of cells from the urethra when urine passes through it, while others can be due to vaginal secretions. Epithelial cells are often present in the urinary sediment and you need not be concerned. I would advise drinking plenty of water to flush out the contaminants.