Pregnancy and fasting

Patient: Hi DocI am on a forty day fasting and i have discovered that i am pregnant after i did a pregnancy test. I still want to continue with my fasting and i want to know what is the best way for fasting without causing any harm to my baby. i am still in my first trimester. During my fast i feel dizzy, nausea and have stomach cramps. I normally break my fast at 6 pm but when i try to eat i feel nausea and i sometimes vomit the food i eat first. In the morning when i wake up i have stomach pains even a running stomach. Please help?

Symptoms: Nausea, dizziness, stomach cramps ,running stomach, head aches

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Maintenance of fasting for a prolonged period, is not advisabl e during pregnancy.If you decided to continue the fasting better to be careful from the beginning.You have to eat the required calories during your break period, you have to take all the required carbohydrates, proteins and fats in your diet by including green leafy vegetables, fruits, cereals, eggs, meat etc in your diet.Try to divide your meal in 3 to 4 small meals and take them in frequent intervals during your break period.By doing this, your dietary habits can be regularized and intestinal problems may be controlled.Some amount of nausea and vomiting are common during pregnancy by taking the help of antiemetics nausea can be decreased.You need regular antenatal checkups and ultrasound examinations during this period to monitor the growth of the baby.So, consult your doctor, get examined and take antiemetic drugs and vitamin supplements with her advice.Take care.