Pregnancy and flying

Patient

Q: Hi, I am planning on becoming a pilot and been doing some research and it hit me, what would happen if I become pregnant? Would I have to switch jobs and work at the airport until I give birth and ready to go back to flying? Also, at what point of my pregnancy would it be healthy to stop flying? How would that all play out?

Doctor

A:   The guidelines for a pilot flying during pregnancy will vary from airlines to airlines. It would also depend on the number of hours involved, carrier flight etc. Pilots, flight attendants and frequent fliers are exposed to higher levels of cosmic radiation and there are certain concerns regarding the safety of the baby. Again, these guidelines could vary depending upon the type of duties you will require to perform.
Generally air travel during pregnancy is considered safe for women who have healthy pregnancies however guidelines for a pilot could differ as the pilots determines not only her own safety but that of the passengers as well.