Pregnancy and Herpes infection

Patient : I'm pregnant and my fiance has herpes. Can he transmitt it to me and the baby through oral sex?
Doctor :   Yes, herpes can be transmitted through oral sex. Anyone with active disease should avoid any sexual contact when sores a re present. Even the use of condoms does not prevent the spread of disease because not all sores are covered by the condom. HSV can be vertically transmitted to the infant before, during, or after delivery. Mothers who acquire genital herpes in the last few weeks of pregnancy are at the highest risk of transmitting the virus to their infants. Herpes infection in infants may cause serious neurological damage, mental retardation or death. I would advice you to practice safe sex, to abstain from sex if lesions/ vesicles are present on the genital area and keep a look out for symptoms of HSV1 which include tingling , burning in the area followed by vesicle eruption. You may need to see your doctor in the presence of these symptoms.