Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Pregnancy and How far along.

Pregnancy and How far along.

Patient: If my last “period” was from July 12th-July 15th (day late and shorter/lighter then usual) and I took an at home pregnancy test August 8th which was positive. Is it possibly to find out after two weeks of conception? Or more likely that wasn’t my actual “period”?Thank you!

Doctor: Thank you for your query.Home pregnancy test is not very accurate and on the other hand it does not measure the amount of hormonal levels of βhCG. Therefore it would be difficult to comment at what stage of pregnancy you are in based on the home pregnancy test. If you want to make sure when you have conceived it is better for you to opt for a blood test for βhCG which can let you the quantitative levels of the hormone being produced in response to the developing pregnancy & co-relate the values to the stage of pregnancy or opt for a transvaginal ultrasound scan to know the gestational age. Based on these investigations you can also judge whether or not you got your menstrual cycle or was it only spottingHope that answers your query. Have a good day.