Pregnancy and kidney failure

Q: Very long story but to make it shorter. My SOS in law is prego. She just found out she has kidney failure. One is not working at all and the other is only 33%. She found out she was prego today. She has a history of htn , smoking, and excessive drinking. Neither doc is aware of both conditions. And I don't think she is aware of how serious this is. She is 29 and just about lost hope after trying for well o ER 5 Yeats. I don't know what to say or do, she is so happy but I'm so scared. What are her chances, the babies chances? She is 800 miles away and I don't know what to do. Please ignore whatever spelling u may see wrong , u have a huge informative box in my way and I can't move it nor see what I'm typing. Please contac me soon. This is very important and it's tearing me up. Thank i

A:   Certainly Acute Renal Failure might develop in patients who are pregnant in certain percentage related to a history of Hypertension. Pre-eclampsia, eclampsia and HELLP syndrome accounted for 11.6% of the ARF related to pregnancy.
Since your daughter in law had many risk factors such as Smoking, Alcohol and hypertension there is a possibility that the Renal Failure might be related to an increased pressure in the renal Artery.
The best Recommendation that your relative might follow is quitting immediately smoking and alcohol consumption and follow up with her OB Gyn for the treatment and monitoring of her High blood pressure. The above mentioned complications related to high blood pressure need to be avoided. Pre natal controls and follow up is the key for a successful pregnancy. I wish her the best.