Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Pregnancy and Period

Pregnancy and Period

Patient: Hello,I had sex on a Friday. The following Tuesday, four days later, I started my period. I started on the right day and it was a normal period that lasted five days. Which is normal for me. I am on the birth control pill, Yasmin. What I am wondering is, if I was pregnant would I have started my period four days later or not? Could I be pregnant?

Doctor: I understand your doubt about menses and pregnancy. In the case that you were pregnant you should not have your menstrua l period, what some women might experience generally after 5 to 8 days post conception that might look like menses but is not, its called Implantation Bleeding.Since you have your menstrual period and lasted for 5 days, the possibilities of being pregnant are very unlikely. Implantation bleeding is characterized by light spotting and does not last for so many days. I hope I cleared your doubt.