Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Pregnancy and red wine

Pregnancy and red wine

Patient: Ive been under alot of stress and am in my 3rd trimester ive heard red wine was okay to drink if its just one glass every now and then. is it okay for me to drink and how much and what effects will it have on baby

Doctor: I understand your stress situation. However I wouldn’t recommend red wine when you are pregnant. I realize that you are e in your third trimester, however the baby is still growing and the most common complication during that trimester could be a condition called “Intrauterine Growth Retardation”. There are also studies that show childhood behaviour to be influenced by any level of alcohol exposure, but that the larger the “dose” the greater the risk. I hope I could clear your doubt.