Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Pregnancy and severe back pain

Pregnancy and severe back pain

Patient: I am 38 weeks pregnant and tonight i am having severe back pain that goes around to my stomach is this labor or contractions

Symptoms: Severe back pain pregnant

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Some amount of backache and pain abdomen can be seen in late pr egnancy.But as you are having severe backache which is radiating to abdomen, there is possibility of labor pains.Labor pains usually presents withgradually increasing severity and frequency, associated blood stained cervical mucus discharge etc.Please do visit ER or consult your doctor and get examined.By examination onset of labor can be assessed and management can be planned accordingly.Take care.