Pregnancy and smoking

Patient: How bad is it to smoke four cigarrettes a day during your pregnancy,really?

Doctor: I realize your concern about smoking during pregnancy. It has been documented that Women who smoke during pregnancy are about twice as likely to experience complications such as premature rupture of membranes, Placental Abruption, and Placenta Previa during pregnancy.The babies born to women who smoked during pregnancy have about 30% higher odds of being born prematurely, are more likely to be born with low birth weight (less than 2500 grams or 5.5 pounds), increasing their risk for illness or death, They also weigh an average of 200 grams less than infants born to women who do not smoke and are 1.4 to 3.0 times more likely to die of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).Certainly smoking is a risk factor that should be avoided especially during pregnancy. I hope I could clear your doubt.