Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Pregnancy and Tummy tucks

Pregnancy and Tummy tucks

Patient: I had a modified tummy tuck about 2.5 years ago and I am now 6 weeks pregnant. Will this cause me problems?? I have heard several different things and I am sure if my skin and muscles will stretch enough.

Doctor: A tummy tuck procedure is not usually performed on patients who have desires for future pregnancies. The fact that you h ave a tummy tuck does not mean that you will not have an uncomplicated pregnancy. As your womb grows the skin and surrounding tissues will expand to accommodate the changes. You should simply inform your obstetrician that you have had a tummy tuck procedure so he may monitor the changes accordingly. You should also be aware that pregnancy will change the shape and look of your abdomen even after the baby is delivered.